Thursday, April 11, 2013

Tax Time

"Wow. That sucked." Those were the only three words I can use to describe the experience of filing taxes with the government.  I got lucky last year when I had all of my taxes done by a tax accountant, avoiding the angst that is unavoidable when doing your taxes yourself, but I wasn't as fortunate this year.  After countless hours staring at a blank 1040 Form and wondering what to do next, I was pleasantly surprised to find an online instruction manual to help me decipher every figure, deduction, payment, and empty space. Yet, I was shocked to find that the instructional booklet for a 2 page form was over 100 pages long. Gosh, you gotta love government efficiency at its finest.

Now, I am not complaining about paying my taxes, but it is rather irksome.  At least I have managed to find comfort in the fact that I am not the only American dreading every second of this ordeal. After all, paying taxes is one of those things that everyone, at least in theory, has to do (but we obviously know that's not really the case).  The simple fact that we have to do it or else the IRS can fine us or just slightly worse, put us in jail is a very scary thought. Though, I've heard you don't have to work or pay any taxes in prison...Just a thought...  But for most levelheaded individuals that provides more than enough motivation to file their taxes and do it on time, despite it being one of the most displeasing obligations we have as citizens.  

When you finally finish decoding the jumble of incompetence that is the United States tax code the feeling is one not of accomplishment, rather a feeling of rest.  I use the word rest for one reason. Tonight, when I go to sleep, I can rest well knowing that our government spends $1.56 for every $1 they take in...Seems like a pretty good return on investment. 

1 comment:

  1. Well, I guess we should have talked about taxes in class at some point! This is one of those areas where just another few years of experience can make a big difference. I'm impressed that you decided to do your taxes by hand (or at least using the individual forms on the computer) rather than opting for a program or website. I used to do them by hand, but this is when there were no free websites. Are your taxes too complicated for the free version, or did you just decide to brave the craziness of the 1040 (which can be an educational experience in itself). I pay generally around 50-100 to use turbotax, and the final return that it generates runs over 100 pages easily. Not something I would want to do by hand anymore.

    ReplyDelete