Thursday, April 4, 2013

It is Everywhere

Before this morning, I had never really realized the prominence alcohol has in our American society. Obviously, I have seen TV advertisements by beer companies, driven by a liquor store, and strolled down the snack and alcohol isle at the grocery store, but I had neglected to realize the farreaching impact these companies, and their beverages, have in our everyday life.  There were two experiences this morning that provided the clearest insight into this overreach.

Experience One:  As I hopped on the stationary bike this morning for a quick cardio workout, ESPN was on the TV.  It was just like any other time I had ever watched ESPN. They were playing highlights from the most recent games, talking about the NCAA Tournament, and playing video of the the ex-Rutgers University coach, Mike Rice.  But, I noticed something in the bottom right of the screen I hadn't ever seen before: There was a Captain Morgan picture advertisement.  The picture wasn't just a quick, passing marketing ad, but rather, it held its place on the screen until my workout was over.  

Experience Two:  Later in the morning, as I was leaving John's Hall, I picked up a copy of today's New York Times.  As I started reading through an article on the front page I noticed the only advertisement that was on the entire page. This time, the advertisement wasn't for Captain Morgan, but for Johnnie Walker Blue Label.  I have never heard of "Blue Label" before, but judging from the bolded words at the bottom of the picture that read "Please Drink Responsibly" I think it's safe to assume it is another alcoholic drink. 

I am still slightly intrigued by the fact that alcoholic advertisements were displayed on the front page of The New York Times and for a period on ESPN.  But I really shouldn't be so surprised by the prevalence alcohol has.  The global alcoholic drink industry is expected to exceed $1 trillion in 2014. And, as long as people continue to consume alcohol, which they will, the companies that make it will continue to pour millions of dollars into advertising to bring in new customers, promote their beverage, and build brand loyalty. As you go through the rest of your day, look around at the things that seem most basic, and you might be surprised to find an advertisement for a bottle of whiskey right in front of you. 


4 comments:

  1. Advertising and branding is absolutely crucial for the alcohol industry. The companies that advertise the most such as budweiser and miller make two of the most inferior products in the beer world, but everyone knows what they are and can pick out their label a mile away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if there are certain products that simply tend to rely more on marketing for their prominence than others. Is there a signature profile of the product that requires above average input from advertising campaigns from its sales? Soda, alcohol, shoes, clothes, and cars seem especially reliant on these techniques. Perhaps this is because food and clothing--and I suppose cars are, in a sense, an extension of our clothing if we conceive of the latter as protecting, sheltering, and facilitating the transport of our physical bodies--are such crucial features of culture. I guess even an Apple product is, in a sense, a fashion accessory. My theory is that branding is most crucial in instances where the product will be capable of marking some sort of group distinction. But I don't know if that is correct and I'm curious about what other people think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally believe all of this advertisement boiled down is directed at all of those under the age of 21. I mean seriously who in their right mind besides people under 21 and alcoholics drinks any of these nationally advertised beverages. Chap has a point, and critics agree that companies, notably anheuiser busch and Miller make some of the most disguisting products. I want to say that Captain Morgan is made by one of these two? Anyways all of these products are gross and any older adult wouldn't not consume them (at least I wouldn't) and therefore the campaigns are directed at kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you have a point Jackson--it must mostly be aimed at younger people, those under 21 (or just barely over). That is the time when tastes are just starting to form and habits are pliable. Of course, it is the 18-35 demographic that is most coveted by advertisers for a reason--their habits are still being shaped. Beyond that behavior becomes a bit more rigid.

    ReplyDelete